Recent attacks on the energy sectorIn recent months, there have been several cyberattacks aimed at the energy and power sector. Most of the attacks have been observed in North America, followed by Europe and Asia.
- The U.S. security agencies have now published a joint advisory detailing the activities of the DarkSide ransomware operation in the Colonial Pipeline attack.
- Hafnium, the notorious hacker group, engaged in several attacks and targeted over 200 Bangladeshi organizations. In this campaign, the group targeted several industries, including energy and power.
- Bourbon Corporation, a world leader in marine services for offshore oil and gas, was hit by a cyberattack that blocked its computer system.
- Shell Oil Co. and RaceTrac Petroleum Inc. were impacted by a security incident as a result of the Accellion FTA hack.
More ransomware groups targeting the sectorRansomware attacks are one of the most prominent cyberattacks affecting the energy and power sector.
- Last month, Royal Dutch Shell, the multinational oil and gas company, was attacked by Clop ransomware. Hackers siphoned off sensitive documents and then leaked workers' passports and visa scans to pressurize for a quick ransom payment.
- REvil ransomware attacked Standley Systems and claimed to obtain service contracts, medical documents, personal data, and more in the attack.
The takeawayThe energy sector operates critical infrastructure and disruptions at such facilities could lead to devastating outcomes. Therefore, organizations operating in the sector are recommended to deploy adequate security measures to stay protected from increasing cyberattacks.
You need to reply or upgrade your account in order to see the Hidden content.